Welcome to the MPIC
As a top research institution, the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry offers its researchers comprehensive support. The International Office supports you personally with a 'Welcome' service to organize your stay in Mainz. Here you will find information and assistance in all non-academic matters, such as administrative procedures, as well as a personal welcome and initial orientation in Mainz and the Rhine-Main area. We will also remain your contact for non-academic matters during the further course of your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you to our institute as a guest and employee. We hope you enjoy this new environment.
Prior to arriving in Germany and during your stay in Mainz, there are some important things to consider.
You can count on our assistance when settling into Mainz smoothly and quickly.
The International Office supports you and your family
- when settling in
- when applying for or extending your residence permit (visa, EU Blue Card)
- when looking for an apartment or house
- with all official matters (visiting authorities)
- with the registration, change and deregistration of your residence
- when opening a German bank account
- when choosing health and liability insurances
- regarding the German health care system
- when searching suitable schools and day-care centres in the vicinity
- for driving licence and vehicle registration
We will also assist you regarding
- German and English courses for all proficiency levels
- Life in Mainz / Germany
- General travel information
- Social and cultural background information
A good start is the Max Planck Society's guide “LIVING AND WORKING IN GERMANY”. It provides information about settling in Germany, feeling at home and coping with the day-to-day life and work.
We also recommend the following links:
The Federal Government - "make-it-in-germany"
Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF)
During the rest of your stay, we are your contact for you and your family, for non-academic matters.
Please contact us, if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you and wish you a pleasant stay.
Your International Office of the MPIC