Fritz Straßmann (1902-1980) held the position of Director of the Radiochemistry Department (formerly known as the Hahn Department) from 1949. He continued the work started in Berlin and furthered in Tailfingen at the MPI in Mainz. In the working rooms, which were built in 1947, he conducted radiochemical studies and worked on issues relating to nuclear physics and the structure of atomic nuclei. Among other things, he also performed biological and medical research using radioactive indicators. Thanks to the installation of two high-voltage systems (a 1.4 mV cascade generator and a 3 mV Van De Graaff generator), the department was able to create radioactive preparations for a multitude of research purposes at the start of the 1950s. In 1953, Fritz Straßmann ended his active work at the Institute and dedicated his energies to the Johannes Gutenberg University, where he had been appointed the first Professor of Chemistry in 1946.